Monday, October 17, 2011

Then Stonehenge


As I mentioned previously, Ed and I had a special reservation to see Stonehenge at sunset, so we got over there shortly before 7:30. When I told the parking attendant we had an "appointment," and could we still use the parking lot even though it was closed, he laughed at me for using the wrong word (I had blanked on "reservation"), and let us in. Here's a picture Ed took from the parking lot while I was in the ol' portapotty:


After everyone from the group arrived, the guide got us together to explain the rules. Basically, he said, we weren't allowed to do ANYTHING. We couldn't touch the stones in any way, or use other objects to touch the stones. All we could do is walk around, take pictures, and look at them. And people were allowed to do ceremonies, which a couple groups of people did. I don't know what the hell they were doing, but it was weird, so I didn't pay attention. Ed noted that one group was just one dude and a bunch of women. His harem, maybe? Who knows? The other group was just a man and a woman, and I just noticed them sitting with their foreheads together, so maybe it was more of a personal ceremony. Whatever, man.

For a while the pictures weren't very dramatic because it was so cloudy.


But then the sun started to peak out, and things got prettier.

Apparently these are called God Rays.



Then the sun went a-hidin' agin.



And then it came out again.






Then once we got a ton of sunset photos, I started wanting to do funny photos. So I did this one, reminiscent of the hand/arm port in Cyprus.

And a few of these.

And then there were the more relaxed ones.


Here's a postcardy one:

And the obligatory "Alia pointing excitedly" one:

Then the sky got pretty dramatic.




This one is very postcardy, I think.


Then we got back to business. Here's me and Ed, NOT touching the stones:



 And then we took some more artsy fartsy photos.


This one especially. Lone Man at Stonehenge, with Heavens.

Isn't it funny how the light changes so much. With the sun behind me, it still looks like late afternoon.



This one is strange because his head gets cut off by the horizon. How many people can say that?

 Anyway, we eventually decided that for thirty pounds, we had better scrutinize every single rock out there, so we went and did that, coming up with explanations as to why certain crevices, cracks, or holes formed, or what use the rock could have.

And then I decided to have a little dance, because AYE could cross over the rope barrier. Ed likes going places with me because I don't take them too seriously.


Striation speculation:

This is a totally suite kung fu move, and Ed has clearly affected the rock, as you can see from the discoloration:


Here you can see that Lego was actually inspired by Stonehenge.

Although we had until 8:30 to hang around Stonehenge and ponder the wonders of historical accomplishment, it was getting quite windy and cold, and if you can believe it, we accomplished all of the above in about 50 minutes.


So we said a blurry goodbye and went home. Goodbye Stonehenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment