Saturday, April 6, 2013

Oxford University and Town

Okay, so we were in Oxford to czech out the university, to which I will apply to a doctoral program(me) later this year. Unfortunately, it was ridiculously early to be visiting a school, since at the time I had no idea (and still have little idea) about what I specifically would want to research during my time there. So we stopped by the admissions office and I picked up a couple pamphlets and talked for a few minutes to the graduate admissions officer. She did give me a good tip regarding funding, though. At Oxford (and Cambridge), you have to affiliate with one of a few dozen colleges for administrative purposes, and many colleges offer scholarships or grants to students of merit or in need. So instead of naming my top choices on my application, I should just leave my college options blank, which will leave me open to funding opportunities from any of the colleges.

Blah blah.

Next we stopped at the Centre for Linguistics and Philology and talked to the administrative head or something for a little while. I didn't have anything specific to talk about yet with professors, which was kind of lucky since fully none of them were around that day. After that we mainly just walked around town and visited a couple college campuses for two days.

Oxford is a very pretty town, but the pictures get kind of samey after a while, so I haven't included everything.

This is a building next to our hotel. I think it might have been some sort of city building.



On Hertford College campus, there is the commonly-called Bridge of Sighs, which according to Wikipedia is actually named the Hertford Bridge. Also according to Wikipedia, this bridge wasn't meant to be a replica of the original Bridge of Sighs in Venice, Italy, and in fact doesn't really resemble it at all. People still call it that, though, and it seems to be a popular wedding site.




 Bodleian Library.


The Radcliffe Camera seems like a cool place to be.






This building looks like a classic bank, but it isn't a bank. It's the Clarendon Building, which used to house the Oxford University Press, but now the Bodleian Library uses it for stuff. Boring.



There were a bunch of freaky stone heads of Roman emperors in front of the Sheldonian Theatre.



Here are some pictures of one of the campuses we visited.




 There were signs that said you couldn't go onto the grass, so we couldn't see what this oasis wood was all about. As if people don't understand that grass was made to walk on. That's why it grows on the GROUND, STUPID.





University Church of St. Mary the Virgin. It's like a thousand years old, man.




HA HA HA.


No comments:

Post a Comment