Sunday, December 5, 2010

Brighton: Closed for Snow

So when I wrote that it was snowing, it actually continued snowing for two or three days after that. The whole city, and wherever the hell else it snowed in England, shut down. They were not prepared. I was quite surprised by it, actually. I would have thought snow was common. But Ed said it snowed once last year, and before that it had been like ten years. Holy schnikes.

Ed took this picture of his steps before we left his house on Thursday:

I had stayed with Ed on Wednesday night, and was slip-sliding my way to the bus stop in my tractionless Filas (my snow boots had a problem with shredding the backs of my heels at the time, so I wasn't wearing them). But when I got to the bus stop, I read that the buses were only running on a very limited basis. Another student was there and she called the info line and found that none of the buses would be going as far as my campus, and that the rail service would be shut all day, as well. D'oh. I considered taking one of the buses that went to a campus a couple miles from mine, and then taking a taxi (with construction, snow, and other factors, walking would have been impossible), but I didn't want to spend the money. So I ended up getting Ed's keys from him at his work and holing up at his place all day, pissed that I couldn't go home and work on my current paper properly. I ended up still being able to work on it some, since most of my major sources I had in emails from my teacher, but since it's harder to read all that material online, and it didn't have all my highlighting and notes on it, the work was slow-going, and I didn't get much done. We were supposed to have our last session of the class the paper is for that day, too, but the whole campus (along with all the other campi) was closed and all classes cancelled.

I told Ed when he got home that I'd had a dance party, written my name on all his stuff, and licked all his food while he was gone. That second one still strikes me funny here and there. I also described the famous Tom Cruise scene from Risky Business and said I'd done that, but I don't think he got it.

Anyway, the bus service to my campus started back up again at 4 (I kept the up-to-the-minute info website on all day), but by then I really didn't feel like going home, so I stayed until the next morning and had to get up wicked early to make it back to campus for work at 9am. By the way, I got a job. I'm a computer helper at the computer poolroom in the library next to my dorm. It's an easy job. I just sit there at a computer and wait for people to have problems, most of which I can't solve, so I either get help from my pseudo-bosses in the Information Services office, or tell them to ask their teacher (or whoever is appropriate). I also fill the printers with paper and lock up teaching rooms (for some reason they don't call them classrooms here. That boggles me.) for the night. Can you believe I get paid the equivalent of over $12 an hour to pretty much study or do what I want online for a four hour shift a couple times a week? What a great country.

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make here is that this (part of the, question mark?) country is a total pansy when it comes to snow. Even though it snowed for two days, the total accumulation was only about six inches, as far as I could tell. That's just silly. Also, trains run on rails. There doesn't seem to be any way that extremely light snow could interfere with the operation of one of those guys. I can understand having trouble getting staff in, if there are few buses running and it's dangerous to drive, but surely some employees would have been available and able to show up. The only trains that were going in this whole section of the island were between London and two suburbs close to it. Blargh.


Ed's street:

I had wanted to have a snowball fight or build a snowman or something when he got home from work, but it was so damn dark by then, that it would have been hard. He suggested sledding (sledging), since he lives on a hill, but then all the ideas were thrown away due to his "manflu," which I think is just a cold. I said we could do all that next time, but he said it's likely there won't be a next time. That's kind of sad.

Also, it rained on Friday for like a whole day, and all the snow melted. 

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment